[Womoz] About RMLL 2010

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Mon Jan 25 20:17:27 CET 2010

2010/1/25 Majken Connor <majken at gmail.com>:
> In my experience many vocal women about women in OS like to talk about
> everything men are doing wrong, and how men are sexist and how men are
> intentionally repressing women.  I was invited to do a panel on this topic
> myself and the other women invited backed out when I insisted I wanted to
> talk not about who's to blame, but on what women can do for themselves to
> make the situation better. This has also been the experience of other women
> and men I've talked to who have attended these types of sessions - it always
> devolves into some women insisting it's men's fault.
>
> Perhaps if you make it clear that you want to focus on what women can do for
> themselves (It is open source after all, a group of women could decide to
> make and market their own product) and how existing members of the
> development communities can support them, then you will find these men to be
> more receptive.
>
> I know I wouldn't want to attend a talk with strangers telling me about all
> these horrible things I'm doing (if I did I'd go to church ;-) )

I kind of agree with you in that blaming guys is not the way to go,
but the reason is not because they would be pissed off but because it
would be unfair and wouldn't really help at all. Even more, we're so
used to having men as the reference point of everything, mostly
because the Patriarchy is androcentric, that we somehow tend to keep
thinking about what men do and think, and about what men can do for
us. That's really not the way to go, in my opinion. We have to think
ourselves about what we want to achieve, and how we plan to get it.
And afterwards some men will probably help us improve the situation
together. Not the other way round.

Having said that, I'm a bit scared by having to get to a point like
that for having a speech accepted. If I understood correctly, it would
be more or less having them have a prior censorship about what we want
to say, and once they agree that it is OK with them, they might let us
say it. You're right in that it might be a way to make it work, but it
somehow makes me feel wierd having to say things thinking mainly in
male attendants not getting pissed off. Even though I would probably
say the same without the prior censorship. Mostly when all the other
talks are probably not subject to that prior censorship.

Greetings,
Miry